Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Mark Your Calendars

The month of March is here and that means it is time for the bi-annual Quilty Adoption Event!

Twice a year, I host an event that enables quilters to link up an Instagram or blog post putting up  items for adoption.  It is time to clean out those sewing spaces and take a hard look at the projects and orphaned blocks that have been stuffed away and determine if they are worth finishing.  If you are ready to pass something on that you are no longer inspired by, there will be someone ready to take on your project and get it finished up!



Last fall, I put these leftover diamond shapes up for adoption.  They were from a previous quilt that got too big.  I was not inspired by them at all!



Joye from South Carolina adopted them and made this quilt!  Are you kidding me!?!?
Isn't it beautiful!  Who knew this lovely quilt was in that stack of unwanted fabric.
Well,    Joye did!



She is such an angel for finishing up my quilt.  She really has such a huge generous heart because she gave it (along with these other six quilts) to a children's home.  So much love and comfort on that clothing line!




And Diann over at Little Penguin Quilts put some blocks up for the taking and they were adopted by Doris who made this great quilt for Quilts Beyond Borders.  Now this quilt is getting love rather than collecting dust!


So if you are ready to off load a project or a few blocks, below is some information on the upcoming event.  Just imagine what someone can do with them!



Quilting is more fun than Housework
Orphan Adoption Event
Starting March 16th


I will be hosting a linky party starting Thursday March 16th (and closing late Saturday he 18th) where you are welcome to link up your own blog post sharing a project you wish to abandon or orphan blocks you wish to pass on.  You can offer as little or as much as you want.  It can be blocks, patterns, kits, anything that you hope someone else will use and you wish to get rid of the burden.




Here are some details:

1.  I am going to ask that any "orphan" linked up must be given away for free.  (If you are wanting to destash for money, there are other venues to do that on.)  I think it is fair that if you need to, you can ask that shipping costs be paid.  Just be sure and put that information clearly in your post.  And know that both parties enter into the deal at their own risk.  I hold no responsibility.

2. Have clear pictures and descriptions on what you are putting up for adoption.

3. Define the criteria for how you will decide who will adopt the item.  Is it a random number giveaway, do you only want it to go to charity, or is there some other criteria that needs to be met?

4.  Be sure and identify where you are located and where you are willing to ship to.

5. Define how long you are keeping the adoption open and when you expect to award the adoption. (You do not need to close your adoption on Saturday - you just need to link up by then.)




Last Fall, there were over two dozen WIPs that found new homes.  Many were adopted by quilters who were finishing them for various charities.  If you are curious what was linked up last time, here is a link even though all the adoptions are closed.

Thanks again to all the quilters that participated in the past.  If you adopted a project, I would love it if you shared a photo!


10 comments:

Tami Von Zalez said...

That South Carolina collection is the BOMB! Sometimes it takes a fresh eye to bring a project to life.
I am going to mark the event but I think I may be overcommitted with another hop/event taking place around that same time.
Anyhoo, I am going to put a placemarker of a draft blog post and keep my fingers crossed. I have more than one set of blocks (all thrifted) I could send to new homes.
http://thriftshopcommando.blogspot.com

Yanicka said...

I was waiting for this post. Awesome and thanks.

Barb Neiwert said...

Wow - what a great vision Joye had for those blocks, and the outcome is wonderful. This is a great event you are sponsoring. I think I'll dig around and see what I can come up with for an Adoption!

Barb Neiwert said...

Whoops! I mean to tell Doris what a fun quilt she came up with also. And you're right: getting love is much better than accumulating dust.

Kate said...

This is such a great way to destash and get a WIP off the list.

Rosa said...

Wow, just beautiful!

Sarah said...

Beautiful quilts and an awesome way to destash. Thanks for linking up to TGIFF!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I was so happy with Doris' finish frrom my blocks! And to think it will give someone some comfort, there is nothng better. Thanks for hosting this event, Cyndy. Such a great idea!

Lynette said...

Wow! That quilt Doris made with the adopted orphan pieces is marvelous. :D

Puppilalla said...

I love your initiative Cynthia. Would it be OK if I reposted some your post including links to your blog and the first two pictures on my blog to spread the word?

01 09 10